Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Honey, I Shrunk Toronto!

Tilt-shift miniature faking is a post-processing technique, which involves selectively blurring a photo to simulate the narrow depth of field found in macro photography and some tilt-shift photography, making the image appear to be of a miniature model. (Description from Wikipedia)

If you fancy having a go at making a miniature, Tiltshiftmaker.com is a site does all the hard work for you, upload your image or use the URL of your image location to create a miniature in just a couple of clicks, preview, then download the full size… Job Done!

I tried out this site for the first time yesterday with some of my images and got a couple of quite pleasing results, (click on the images to view larger). The hardest part was finding images that this treatment might suit, and in my opinion it works much better if you are looking down on a subject in the original shot.


Gargnano, Lake Garda, Italy

If you would rather have a go at making this effect yourself in Photoshop, here is a tutorial I found. Also check out 50 great examples of fake miniature photography here.

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I followed the link from Flickr to your blog and this entry .. what a revelation Tiltshiftmaker.com is! I purchased a Lensbaby a while back hoping this would work somewhat like tilt-shift but haven't got the hang of it. The Tiltshiftmaker site is so easy and I love the results. So THANK YOU ..
Steve (vathiman on Flickr)